A Brief List of Current and Upcoming Events at Immanuel Lutheran Church
- Midweek Lent Series, Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m., March 12th through April 9th, 2014
"The Fruit of the Spirit"—Galations 5:13-26
It is a good old-fashioned Christian discipline to try to worship more often during the holy season of Lent. Please count our 6:30 pm Wednesday liturgies among your Lent opportunities. Our main text for this year's midweek Lent services will be Galatians 5:13 -26, where Saint Paul speaks of freedom:
For you were called to freedom, brothers and sisters; only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for self -indulgence, but through love become slaves to one another. (Galatians 5:13, NRSV)
Remarkable phrase there: "slaves to one another." Strange freedom! It involves slavery! The apostle also casts his theme about freedom in terms of life in the Spirit: "Live by the Spirit, I say, and do not gratify the desires of the flesh." (Galatians 5:16, NRSV) This call to live in the Spirit leads to Saint Paul's famous list of the fruit of the Spirit:
... the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self -control. There is no law against such things. (Galatians 5:22 -23, NRSV)
We do not have enough Lent Wednesdays to do all of these fruits of the Spirit, but we can do many of them. Let's focus on the first five. Here, then, is this year's midweek Lent schedule, with all beginning at 6:30 pm:
- March 12th—Love
- March 19th—Joy (Sermon by The Rev. Jonathan Linman, Ph.D., Assistant to the Bishop for Formation for the Metropolitan New York Synod, ELCA)
- March 26th—Peace
- April 2nd—Patience
- April 9th—Kindness
- Sunday Vespers, Second Sunday of each month at 5:00 p.m.
Preceded by Group Spiritual Practice at 4:00 p.m. (except Festival Sundays)
Led by Rev. Kelly-Ray Meritt. Click here for full schedule.
- Monday Morning Devotions, 8:00 a.m. on most Mondays
A ten minute devotional at the start of the work week. All are welcome. Read more at this link.
- ARTEK Early Music Ensemble 2013-2014 Season
The ARTEK early music ensemble, led by Immanuel's Music Director Gwendolyn Toth, has many concerts upcoming, some of which will take place at Immanuel Lutheran Church, including the Holiday Concert with music by Mozart on Sunday, December 29th, 2013. For the full schedule and details as well as ticketing information, please visit the ARTEK website.
- Bible Study on the Book of Job, each Sunday at 10:00 a.m.
Led by John Wilson in our undercroft.
- Our Meals-on-Heels program needs volunteers. Please click here for more details.
- Spiritual Direction Group led by Pastor Carol Fryer, every other Monday from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. (Currently on break.)
This prayer group is meeting in our Martin Luther Room. Contact the office for more details.
For more details on these and other events occurring at Immanuel Lutheran Church, please read the latest edition of our newsletter, the Immanuel Messenger.
News & Events
Phone & Email
Immanuel Lutheran Church
122 E. 88th Street
New York, NY 10128